Sunday 19 February 2012

Cornish Tin


Kerensa 'Surf' Pendants; Silver and Cornish Tin

In a few months time I will be off on an artists residency to further my work in precious metals and Cornish tin. The studio and accommodation are on the shore at Cape Cornwall and converted from a former mine building - the area is the source of my raw material and also the inspiration behind my designs.

I find it an environment of contrasts. The atmosphere of the deserted mine workings has influenced my designs, as has the beautiful and dramatic coastline, the tales of the sea, mines and the wealth of colours, forms and wildlife.

The time in this special place will allow me to catch up on sketching, observing, recording and forming new designs. There's lots more to be experimented with as far as the working properties of tin with precious metals and I would like to do some more smelting to witness the amazing transformation of rock to metal! I will also be showing local schools how I use tin in my work and I hope I will hear more stories and information about the mining area. I'll be over the moon if 'my' seal pops up to watch me sketching!

Inside deserted mine workings



Victory Shaft (looking up) - Geevor Mine

I've been asked this week to contribute to a Thames and Hudson book on working with metals, particularly in regard to my work with tin. It is a fascinating metal, quite different to the gold, platinum and silver that I am most familiar with. I think its beautiful white colour, softness and relationship to our own heritage and landscape make it worthy of treasure. I have no hesitation in placing it within precious jewellery - flowing it through gold and silver like waves through rocks along the coast.

The 'cry' of tin is a sound that it makes when worked, and was quite disconcerting when I first heard it. To hear it and find out more visit The Cry of Tin film, Erica Sharpe, R&A Collaborations

Kerensa Wave and Shore rings. Gold, palladium, silver and Cornish Tin



No comments:

Post a Comment