Sunday 12 February 2012

The Somerset Levels

Here are a few pictures and sketches from recent walks. I've got a busy time ahead and it always helps speed up ideas and concepts if I get spend time in the countryside - walking seems to give my brain some space to work things out!



The starling roost on the Somerset levels is incredible to witness and it's right on my doorstep - the 
movement, sound and patterns of the birds never fails to leave me in awe of this natural spectacle.  I was right in the middle of a 'murmuration' last week, at one point a nearby tree looked in leaf but it was full of starlings. To feel air rush over your face from the energy of thousands of beating wings is amazing (and I forgive them for the mess they made of my car)! In the midst of starling watching I was really pleased to show my youngest daughter her first kingfisher - it was skimming across the surface of the water, time and time again, right under our noses. I love their flash of electric blue, it reminds me of the finest opals!






Over the winter the birds have been eating the fallen apples that I've left under the trees. Starlings and redwings take joint first prize for apple sculpture, carefully carving out the fruit between the core and skin leaving beautiful hollow forms. 




No comments:

Post a Comment